Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Getting into routine..


There is a saying that goes.. habits take 21 days to make and 1 day to break..
It makes me wonder, how many habits of mine was moulded since young.
One things is for sure.. i admire my parent's commitment and dedication in raising us.
Though, i also remember the fear my mother instilled....
No she never used the cane... neither did she use hard words...
But the warnings she gave used to ring in my ears, years after....
And trust me.... when mum said something.. she ment it...
and even more.. she stuck to it....

Just packing for this trip i am about to make.. there is a check list in my head...
something my mum constantly reminded us of...
Passport... check, Wallet with foreign currency.. check, underwear.. check,
pen.. check, shoes and slippers.. check... and the list goes on... and on..
God knows.. i could pack with my eyes closed...

From washing shoes on the weekend... which of course as i got older, managed to learn to keep my shoes clean and polished with white chalk,( i'd miss weeks at a time) coz i got lazy...
To waking up a certain hour everyday..., if i missed the bus,
how i'd dread having to wake mum in the early morning...
Oh.. the guilt and shame i would feel for disturbing her sleep...
Well... not that she would grumble..
but more of i myself should have been more responsible...
another one of the great values my mum instilled...
But then of course later i built up the guts to take the bus..
Well... i guess it comes with maturity... or so i think...

Reflecting back on my childhood...
I have since learned to appreciate my mothers wisdom..
Yes many times it was painful when she left me to pick my self up..
and yes there were times of anger and resentment...
Especially when the scoldings were for all to see...
But i guess now i wouldn't change what i had, even if i could...
For how else would i have turned out the way i am?
How else would i have learned the ways of the world?
For this i am constantly greatful to all mothers out there...
No... it's not mothers day, and yes, there are some average mums...
But didn't they make us who we are?
did we not learn from our experiences.. good or bad ?
Did we not make the choices that brought us here?
I guess family builds our routine....
to follow or not... thats a choice WE make.
THANK YOU MUM's......




No comments: