Sunday, October 2, 2011

Our dependency on technology

Gadgets, gadgets, gadgets....
I remember during my younger days i could remember all my friends numbers and relatives numbers by hard. I actually still remember quite a number of my primary school friends numbers... but sadly can only recall a handful of numbers ever since i got myself a handphone... And as some numbers has changed, the old numbers become invalid..

It is just so easy programming things into phones. It's like our whole lives are dependent on it... Our schedule, contacts, emails, shopping list, to do list, appointments, birthdays... the list gets endless with every new phone launched..

I'm staring to wonder.. is this really doing us any good? It seems like our lives is fun by technology..  Our brains have gotten rather lazy at remembering things as there is something to do it for us. When humans had to walk or cycle, fat people were indeed very rare. And if you were fat, well... you must have been rich indeed.

When we did not have microwaves, and fast foods.. people weren't as impatient when they were hungry, as waiting was a norm, cooking was planned and love was put into it. We had to save money to buy that special toy and learned patience when we were kids. People that had credit cards were few... I got my own one only at 29..

People seem to be so impatient now a days, me included. Speeding on roads, honking, wanting instant gratification. We know the names of people in Hollywood but not our neighbors, we know which movie stars are in rehab... but fail to notice people in need...

Seriously... don't you think something is very wrong here? Whats the longest time you have been without a handphone, TV, microwave, credit card , laptop or a car?

Are you a slave to technology?

No comments: